Monday, November 1, 2010

Election Day


Wow am I glad this is nearly over. I should start by saying what is bothering me is something that is actually good for my business but bad for my sanity.

Tomorrow is Election Day. And while people that know me generally know where I stand politically. I am not here to try and persuade anyone to any particular point of view. As I have said over and over for years, doesn’t matter if you are for it or against it, just vote.

The reason I am glad that it is over is the barrage of political ads that we have been bombarded with. Like I said this is a double edge sword for me. I work in broadcasting, an industry that has been hurt especially hard by the economy. Advertising is one of the first things businesses cut in time of economic difficulty. The foolishness of which I can discuss another time. But the influx of political advertising dollars will help many broadcast companies make their fourth quarter.

This advertising cycle has been one of the nastiest I can recall. When I was a kid people used to refer to it as mudslinging. This has gone more into the realm of tossing nuclear bombs at each other. So personal and bitter and angry. I will be glad when it’s over.

So go to the polls tomorrow. Make your vote count. And if you don’t believe that it does just look at some of the close races we have seen in recent years.

Even though I am tired of the process I thank God and our founding fathers that we do have the right and privilege to go to the polls. And we can do so without having to have blue ink on our fingers and in most cases we can be fairly confident that the elections will be fair and reflect the will of the people.

So like I said before, whether you are for it or against it….. vote tomorrow and do so proudly because you live in the greatest country in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment